Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Afternoon Tea Surprise

A few months ago my younger sister was over and she reminded me of something we loved to do when we were kids. When we were about 8 or 10 years old we would come home from school and take turns to make each other an afternoon tea surprise. If it was my turn I would try to think of her favourite foods and make up a little snack. I would try to present it nicely and then carry it into the living room on a tray to my sister who was waiting to be surprised.

We used to make simple things such as chocolate milk, crackers with cheese or peanut butter, cut up fruit, but it was always fun to see what the other one was going to come up with. Sometimes we got a bit crazy and tried to invent new recipes (throwing all sorts of sweet things into a glass of milk, for example), but that just made it more fun.

Now that I think about it, this simple activity taught us some really good lessons. We learnt:

- how to prepare and present food nicely.

- how to put some one else's preferences and desires above your own.

- and how to be creative with the things in your cupboard.

I hope when my children are old enough they will have as much fun doing this for each other as we did.

No comments: