Monday, April 19, 2010

"Disciplines of the Beautiful Woman" by Anne Ortlund


I bought the book "Disciplines of the Beautiful Woman" a few weeks ago and read it through in a couple of days. Written from a Christian perspective, it offers encouragement and practical ideas to help women plan their time and activities to be most effective in their work for God.

This book is easy to read and the author has a friendly and humble style of writing. It's not a to-do list that details one way for every Christian woman to live, but includes stories from the author's life that show what has and hasn't worked for her in regards to time-management, keeping up with different roles and responsibilities, maintaining a positive and hard-working attitude, organising Bible study notes, influencing and encouraging other women for Christ, and even taking care of our appearance.
MM
My favourite part of the book has to be the author's passion for being a good witness, remaining accountable to other Christians in her own walk, and looking for opportunities to share the Gospel with unbelievers. Here is a quote where the author is describing what our life will hopefully become once we have been saved:
.
"Let's presume (and I pray it's really true) that all of us now, I writing and you reading, are safely one the bank. Here's where "cream-puff religion" - no strain, no pain - has deceived many, leading new Christians to believe that once they're out of the canoe onto land, they're in heaven! So a few months later when they still have problems, they're disillusioned.
.
Actually this is the time when we brush ourselves off, set our eyes on that distant City, and start walking. Cross country, woman. Realise what you were saved from, and know that that place is so fabulous it's worth hiking over over hills, through thorns, through rivers up to our lipstick, over cliffs - anything to get there."
.
Over the last few weeks I have read this book from start to finish again and also opened it up to read just a chapter or two when I had a few minutes to spare. Every time I read some of it I come away feeling inspired and encouraged.
.
I'm not sure if this book has been re-printed recently as not all online bookstores sell it but you can find it at Amazon, The Book Depository and Booktopia.

3 comments:

Carina said...

Lisa, I'm so glad you enjoyed this book! The other two books in this "series" are: Disciplines of the Heart and Disciplines of the Home and they are both great too! (Here in the states, the three books are now contained in one volume titled The Gentle Ways of the Beautiful Woman.)

I haven't seen you around the Sugar Pie Farmhouse lately; hope you are doing well!

Amy @ Keep'n The SunnySide said...

Lisa, I wanted to thank you for stopping by my blog and saying hi. I hope you get this, I can see that you've not posted in awhile.

I wanted to answer your question about being a SAHM mom, and getting bored/lonely. Rarely happens! I have been dong the SAHM/W thing for 15 years. I can honestly say.. I stay busy 95% of the time. The older my kids get the more I find I have to do. Volunteering at school, running carpools to sports and extra curricular's, etc. I'm a real stickler about a clean home, laundry, cooking dinner each night, eating as a family, etc. When your children are in school, it is true, your life changes quite a bit. I found that I easily adapted to my newfound freedom. I find plenty to keep me busy. It has also enabled me to pursue some hobbies like photography. I hope that answers your question.

I hope you stop by frequently. It so nice to "meet" new people. I have met some really great friends through blogging.

Amy

MK Jorgenson said...

Hey, thanks for stopping by my blog--I'm glad I'm not the only one to have ever struggled over home vs. money.

I might have to pick up this book; the title reminded me of Disciplines of a Godly Woman by Barbara Hughes, which I highly recommend if you're looking for a good read. As for me, I'm off to find that Anne Ortlund book! :D